Normally, any title which is available simultaneously in electronic format and hard copy will be purchased as an e-book. The following exceptions to and confirmations of the policy are noted.
- Hard copy will be purchased if the selector has specified hard copy and provides a justification.
- Art books are generally not available in e-format, but even if they are, we get the hard copy unless there is a special reason to get the e-book.
- Technical manuals (how to use software programs, etc.) will only be purchased as e-books. If no electronic format is available, the library will not purchase the hard copy. (Please check the Safari e-book collection for technical manuals.)
- If the item's author is a UTEP faculty member, a hard copy will be purchased for the Faculty Collection and an e-book will be purchased for the Main collection.
- Except in special cases such as books by faculty authors, multiple copies and multiple formats will not be purchased. If we have an e-book, we will not purchase a hard copy without authorization from the AUL for Technical Services.