Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Before You Start...
- These listing of your class readings is current as of 8-27-12. Please check Blackboard to verify that the reading listed is the correct one .
- If you are trying to access the book excerpts or articles from an off-campus location, or from your laptop, you'll be asked to enter a Library PIN
- If you don't already have a PIN, or if you forgot yours, go here to create a new one.
Week 5 Readings
- Snow, John. (1851) On Cholera I & II (excerpts) Week of September 24 (Week 5)
Week 6 Readings
- Briggs, Charles L and Clara Mantini-Briggs. 2004. “Preparing for a Bacterial Invasion: Cholera and Inequalities in Venezuela.” Chapter 1 (pp. 19-47) in Stories in the Time of Cholera: Racial Profiling during a Medical Nightmare Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. [UTEP has electronic copy of book] Week of October 1 (Week 6)
- Hart, Ernest. 1894. “The Nurseries of Cholera.” British Medical Journal 1(1730):415–420. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of October 1 (Week 6)
Week 7 Readings
- Barry, John M. Cecile Vibound and Lone Simonsen. 2008. “Cross-Protection between Successive Waves of the 1918–1919 Influenza Pandemic: Epidemiological Evidence from US Army Camps and from Britain.” Journal of Infectious Diseases Volume 198, Issue 10 1427-143. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of October 8 (Week 7)
Week 8 Readings
- Specter, Michael, “The Deadliest Virus,” The New Yorker, March 12, 2012, p. 32-38. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of October 15 (Week 8)
Week 9 Readings
- Rogers, Naomi, 1989. “Dirt, Flies, and Immigrants: Explaining the Epidemiology of Poliomyelitis, 1900-1916.” Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences, 44: 486-505
Week 11 Readings
- Garret, Laurie. 1994. “Feminine Hygiene” Chapter 12 (pp. 390-410- in The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance. New York: Penguin. Week of November 5 (Week 11)
- Primary Source Document I http://www.mum.org/relyar10.htm Week of November 5 (Week 11)
- Primary Source Document II http://www.mum.org/relyart8.htm Week of November 5 (Week 11)
Week 12 Readings
- Patton, Cindy. 1988. “AIDS: Lessons from the Gay Community.” Feminist Review (30):105–111 [UTEP library has this volume] Week of November 12 (Week 12)
Week 14 Readings
- Patton, Cindy. 2011. “Rights Language and HIV Treatment: Universal Care or Population Control?” Rhetoric Society Quarterly, 41:3, 250-266. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of November 26 (Week 14)