This list does not have links to the full text of readings because of copyright considerations. The full texts are available to UTEP students on the UTEP Library's Course Reserves page. To access the readings, you will need to log in with your UTEP credentials. Enter the name of the course (Univ 1301), select a specific course, select your professor's name, and look for Electronic Readings. http://lib.utep.edu/search/r
- Alford, Richard D. "American Naming Practices in Cross-Cultural Perspective." In Naming and Identity: A Cross-cultural Study of Personal Naming Practices. New Haven, Conn.: HRAF Press, 1988. 123-129. [Excerpt]
- Alford, Richard D. "The Process of Initial Naming." In Naming and Identity: A Cross-cultural Study of Personal Naming Practices. New Haven, Conn.: HRAF Press, 1988. 29-37. [Excerpt]
- Coltharp, Lurline H. "Dual Influences on Chicano Naming Practices." Names 29:4 (1981): 297-302.
- Gasque, Thomas. J. The Power of Naming. Vermillion, S.D.: University of South Dakota, 2000. [Excerpt]
- The Naming of the Beasts. Excerpt from Genesis 2: 18-19 and Excerpt from Mark Twain, The Diaries of Adam and Eve.
- Parada, Maryann. "Ethnolinguistic and Gender Aspects of Latino Naming in Chicago: Exploring Regional Variation." Names 64:1 (2016): 19-35.
- Pulgram, Ernst. Theory of Names. Berkeley, Calif.: American Name Society, 1954.
- Richmond, W. Edson. "The Value of the Study of Place Names." In The Study of Place Names. Ronald L. Baker, ed. Terre Haute, Ind.: Indiana Council of Teachers of English, 1991. 23-31. [Excerpt]
- Room, Adrian. "Why Another Name?" In A Dictionary of Pseudonyms and Their Origins, with Stories of Name Changes. Jefferson, N.C.: McFarland, 1989. 6-11.