The following is a tutorial video to finding articles in the UTEP Library databases.
Qualitative research methods may include performing interviews, ethnographies, shadowing, or other kinds of interpretive research. Qualitative research can be challenging to find as these methodologies are not always well-indexed in bibliographic databases. Here are some tips when searching for qualitative research:
1. Try searching keywords that might specifically identify qualitative research such as: qualitative, ethnograph*, phenomenol*, ethnonurs*, grounded theor*.
2. Look for the thesaurus terms in databases. Databases use controlled keywords (known as thesaurus terms or subject headings) to categorize each record stored.The thesaurus terms vary for each database according to their indexing system. For example, qualitative research is indexed in CINAHL their subject heading "Qualitative Studies" is complemented by more detailed terms, including "Phenomenological Research" and "Grounded Theory".
3. Qualitative Research Filters are pre-formulated in some databases that deal with qualitative research. For example in PsycInfo theres a Methology filter where you can select "Qualitative Study".
Some places to find qualitative and quantitative research articles are in these major databases:
Quantitative research relies on statistical or computational data to support a hypothesis. In order to find quantitative research articles you should apply the smae tactics as finding qualitative resources.
1.Try searching keywords that might specifically identify quantitative research such as: quantitative, empirical research, variables, sampling, validity, reliability.
2. Look for the thesaurus terms in databases. Databases use controlled keywords (known as thesaurus terms or subject headings) to categorize each record stored.The thesaurus terms vary for each database according to their indexing system. For example, qualitative research is indexed in Business Source Complete their subject heading use "Quantitative Research".
3. Quantitative research filters are pre-formulated in some databases. For example in ERIC theres a Publication Type filter where you can select "Numeric/Quantitative Data"
Besides the databases mentioned in the qualitative research section other databases also ggod for quantitative and qualitative research articles are: