Geological Sciences Tip Sheet
By Robert Klapthor, UTEP Science Reference Librarian
1) Full list of UTEP Geological Sciences databases.
Other useful related UTEP database collections:
2) Full list of UTEP Environmental Science databases:
http://lib.utep.edu/search/e?Environmental Science and Engineering
3) Full list of UTEP Physics databases:
4) Why doesn’t UTEP have access to all the journals available from ScienceDirect? This is because of Elsevier’s pricing method of requiring additional subscriptions for their newer journal acquisitions. The journals subscribed to by UTEP will have a green icon before the volume number. In a similar fashion Elsevier requires special (large: $200,000 to $500,000+) one time purchases for each of their 26 archival sections for their pre-1995 backfiles. The UT System has purchased about half of these archival sections.
5) Citation tracing: Use the Web of Science database. The ScienceDirect database also allows you to trace citations within the ScienceDirect journal collection.
6) Journal impact factors & statistical rankings: Use the Journal Citation Reports database. Note: Only about 9,000 journals are listed in JCR.