Skip to main content
Before You Start...
- These listing of your class readings is current as of 8-27-12. Please check Blackboard to verify that the reading listed is the correct one .
- If you are trying to access the book excerpts or articles from an off-campus location, or from your laptop, you'll be asked to enter a Library PIN
- If you don't already have a PIN, or if you forgot yours, go here to create a new one.
Week 5 Readings
- Snow, John. (1851) On Cholera I & II (excerpts) Week of September 24 (Week 5)
Week 6 Readings
- Briggs, Charles L and Clara Mantini-Briggs. 2004. “Preparing for a Bacterial Invasion: Cholera and Inequalities in Venezuela.” Chapter 1 (pp. 19-47) in Stories in the Time of Cholera: Racial Profiling during a Medical Nightmare Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. [UTEP has electronic copy of book] Week of October 1 (Week 6)
- Hart, Ernest. 1894. “The Nurseries of Cholera.” British Medical Journal 1(1730):415–420. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of October 1 (Week 6)
Week 7 Readings
- Barry, John M. Cecile Vibound and Lone Simonsen. 2008. “Cross-Protection between Successive Waves of the 1918–1919 Influenza Pandemic: Epidemiological Evidence from US Army Camps and from Britain.” Journal of Infectious Diseases Volume 198, Issue 10 1427-143. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of October 8 (Week 7)
Week 8 Readings
- Specter, Michael, “The Deadliest Virus,” The New Yorker, March 12, 2012, p. 32-38. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of October 15 (Week 8)
Week 9 Readings
- Rogers, Naomi, 1989. “Dirt, Flies, and Immigrants: Explaining the Epidemiology of Poliomyelitis, 1900-1916.” Journal of the History of Medicine and Allied Sciences, 44: 486-505
Week 11 Readings
- Garret, Laurie. 1994. “Feminine Hygiene” Chapter 12 (pp. 390-410- in The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out of Balance. New York: Penguin. Week of November 5 (Week 11)
- Primary Source Document I http://www.mum.org/relyar10.htm Week of November 5 (Week 11)
- Primary Source Document II http://www.mum.org/relyart8.htm Week of November 5 (Week 11)
Week 12 Readings
- Patton, Cindy. 1988. “AIDS: Lessons from the Gay Community.” Feminist Review (30):105–111 [UTEP library has this volume] Week of November 12 (Week 12)
Week 14 Readings
- Patton, Cindy. 2011. “Rights Language and HIV Treatment: Universal Care or Population Control?” Rhetoric Society Quarterly, 41:3, 250-266. [UTEP library has this volume] Week of November 26 (Week 14)