C.L. SONNICHSEN SPECIAL COLLECTIONS DEPARTMENT
SOURCES OF INFORMATION ON TWENTIETH-CENTURY
1. Books and encyclopedias. Search the UTEP Library catalog for specific topics. We have about 32,000 items with "Mexico" appearing somewhere in the record; there are 415 subject headings beginning "Mexico—History." You can break the subject headings down to specific time periods; for instance, “Mexico—History—1910-1946” shows 368 items. The Southwest and Border Studies Collection is especially rich in these resources. The reference section has several Mexican and Latin American encyclopedias
2. Government Documents. Although most of the documents are listed in the on-line catalog, it is worthwhile to search special documents indexes, such as the GPO cumulative subject indexes, the Serial Set Index, and State Department indexes. Some interesting documents are available only on microfiche, such as the FBI's Daily Reports on
3. Microfilm. We have a lot of microfilm from the National Archives, including materials on Mexican immigration, consular despatches, and State Department documents. We also have presidential papers of Grover Cleveland, Theodore Roosevelt, and Woodrow Wilson. Other materials on microfilm include Mexican archives such as the Municipal Archives of Cd. Juarez (MF513), the Judicial Archives of Parral, Chihuahua (MF546), the Carrizal Municipal Records (MF505), and other smaller collections. We also have some manuscript collections on microfilm or fiche including Memorias del General de División Marcelo Caraveo (MF 511), Archivo del General Genovevo de la O (MF 507), the René Mascareñas Collection (MF499), and the Day Book of the Cananea Copper Company (MF 462), among others. Check our web page for more information.
4. Newspapers and periodicals. Although the Current Periodicals only keeps hard copies of newspapers for three months, we do have some on microfilm, including Excelsior from Mexico City and the Periodico Official de Chihuahua. Border newspapers including El Fronterizo, El Continental, El Pais, and La
5. Manuscript and photograph collections. The UTEP Library has several collections from 20th century Mexico, some with guides at http://libraryweb.utep.edu/special/finding_aids.php. Most relate to the border region or Chihuahua, and many deal with mining, business, ranching, or railroads. Some collections from the
6. Web resources. The Latin American Network Information Center in Austin has lot of resources up on the web. Examples include documents about Zapatistas: http://lanic.utexas.edu/project/Zapatistas/; a list of resources and databases on Latin America: http://lanic.utexas.edu/la/region/las-db/ ; and presidential messages: http://lanic.utexas.edu/project/archives/lagda/pm/
Special Collections phone: 747-5697; hours: MTThF 8 a.m.-5 p.m.; W 8 a.m. - 9 p.m.; Sat. 9-1
Claudia Rivers, Special Collections Librarian, phone 747-6725; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Collections web page address: http://libraryweb.utep.edu/special/
Periodical Oficial de Chihuahua: We have this in microfilm as MF 472 through 1971 and some years in hard copy.
Periodico Oficial de Durango: We have this on microfilm as MF 493 through 1973.
Mexican Mining Journal. We have 1909 – 1916 in the MAIN stacks, TN28 .M49.
El Correo de Chihuahua, 1902-1935. MF 479.
Mexican Folkways, 1925-1933. Edited by Frances Toor and illustrated by Diego Rivera.
Mexico en el arte, 1948-1950.
Boletin del Club de Viajes Pemex, 1956-1963.
Boletín de Petroleo y Minas. 1935-1939. See also Boletín de Minas, Boletín de Minas y Petroleo. TN4 .B643
Revista Catolica, 1879-1965. Published first in Las Vegas, NM, and later in El Paso, this journal had coverage of religious issues in Mexico.
Spirit of Missions, 1889-1938. Missionary magazine of Episcopal Church.
El Ahuizote. 1912. Some issues found in the John H. McNeely papers.
El Hijo de El Ahuizote. 1886-1901, and Segunda Epoca, 1913-1914. Some issues in John H. McNeely papers.
Multicolor. 1913. Some issues found in John H. McNeely papers.
Gráfico del Norte. 1957. John H. McNeely papers.
La Nacion, 1957-1958. Political reporting.
Mexican newsletter. English-language government report from the 1970s.
Tarahumara, 1990-1993. Current events from Northern Mexico.
El Proceso, 1982-2015. Political news and analysis. AP63 .P736 in MAIN; incomplete 1970s in Special Collections Cage.
El Hogar and El Agricultor, 1911-1942. Published in Ciudad Juarez.