Skip to main content
What Is An Approval Plan?
- The vendor -- in our case, Yankee Book Peddler (YBP) -- works with us to set up a profile. We specify what subjects we collect at what level, what format we prefer, any price limits, and any other criteria.
- The vendor surveys all current publications and sends us notifications for books that match our profile. Actual books are not sent unless requested by faculty or library selectors.
- The approval plan ensures that the Library receives notification of all the important books in all our collecting fields.
- The Library subject liaison should send a list of slips to the departmental liaison at regular intervals so that the faculty can be informed of new publications.
- Faculty members may request access to the YBP database if they wish to search for books to order. Please contact Joy Urbina, email@example.com
English Approval Plan
- Our approval plan covers a Major Authors List. This specifies that we should receive all works by and about (or sometimes only about) a large list of major authors. This includes novelists, poets, playwrights, science fiction authors, children's authors (not charged to English) and some classical authors.
- All areas of English are covered at some level in the approval plan: English teaching, English as a second language, Rhetoric and Composition, critical theory, and literature.
- Books in series are covered in the approval plan so that we receive all works published in certain series specified by the faculty.